I wanted to make something different that I haven’t made before and since I had shrimp in the freezer, I decided to make a shrimp pasta for dinner.
I went online to Google some simple shrimp pasta meals to try and came across this recipe on food network. I thought it was great since I had just about everything I needed already except for an onion and linguine noodles (I used spaghetti noodles instead).
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed (or grated)
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes*
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp (21 to 25), peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 1/4 onion (I didn’t use because I didn’t have)
- 3/4 pound thin linguini (I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- In a bowl, combine the garlic, zest and juice of 1 lemon, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to taste, and the shrimp. Set aside to marinate.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and add a generous amount of salt. Add the spaghetti noodles (or linguini) and cook until just tender, 2 minutes less than instructed on the package. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade, reserve the marinade, and add the shrimp to the skillet. Cook until they turn pink and start to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan to a plate and add the reserved marinade. Let cook a few minutes then add about 1 and a 1/2 cup pasta water. Continue to cook until sauce reduces by half. Add the zest and juice of the remaining lemon, the butter and the parsley and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in the shrimp and pasta and toss to combine with the sauce. Turn out into a serving bowl and serve immediately.
There is a step (2) that involved making a type of broth using the shrimp shells and onions. I did not do this step simply because I forgot about it. I’m not sure how much of a difference it will make but you can check the original recipe for it.
This was delicious and did not take long to make at all. The only other adjustment I would make is the amount of red pepper its asking for. It was REALLY hot! and this is coming from a person that can normally stand the heat. Next time I would about half of what its asking.