I have been reading [amazon_link id=”1599950812″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]John Maxwell’s book “Make Today Count”[/amazon_link] and it’s a great book…of course!!!
John Maxwell is one of my favorite authors. I just think that his teachings are awesome and he has truly been blessed to be a great teacher and leader. I think that he has a sincerity in his teachings that says to me that it’s not just about the money (selling books and material) but he really has a desire to teach, help, and make an impact on individuals, families, and their lives as a whole.
“Make Today Count” is a quick read and has 12 topics that Maxwell refers to as the “Daily Dozen”, from family, commitment, faith, finances, values and more. It’s broken down into 12 short chapters that has valuable information without the overload. At the end of each chapter he has 3 thought-provoking questions with an “action question”, that helps to focus your thoughts on what you need to do NOW to move forward from wherever you are in that topic.
In the beginning of the book Maxwell talked about “The Makings of a Masterpiece”. He meant making every day a masterpiece and the two ingredients are decisions and discipline. They can’t be separated or there worthless…
Good Decisions – Daily Discipline =
A Plan Without A Payoff
Daily Discipline – Good Decisions =
Regimentation without Rewards
Good Decisions + Daily Discipline =
A Masterpiece of Potential
Here is a list of the chapters and what it covers…
1. Attitude: Choose and display the right attitude daily.
2. Priorities: Determine and act on important priorities daily.
3. Health: Know and follow healthy guidelines daily.
4. Family: Communicate with and care for my family daily.
5. Thinking: Practice and develop good thinking daily.
6. Commitment: Make and keep proper commitments daily.
7. Finances: Make and properly manage dollars daily.
8. Faith: Deepen and live out my faith daily.
9. Relationships: Initiate and invest in solid relationships daily.
10. Generosity: Plan for and model generosity daily.
11. Values: Embrace and practice good values daily.
12. Growth: Seek and experience improvements daily.
I am currently on chapter 7 Finances and it is great. Some of it you may have heard before about paying yourself first and it just shed some light on the topic of Finances from a person of success. You get an idea of how he built his finances and cash flow.
Overall it’s just a great book and I highly recommend. It’s definitely a book to add to your library.
“Nobody says that good decisions are always simple, but they are NECESSARY for success.”– John Maxwell