So lately, I have been trying to think outside the box when it comes to our normal food menu. Food has been seeming uninteresting to me lately which is funny based on the fact that you HAVE to eat at least 1-3 times a day. My husband will ask, “so, what you want for dinner?” my response, “nothing, I have no taste for food, it seems boring”. His reply, “well, you have to eat something so decide”. It’s weird to me, how food can be “boring” but it has been for me. I guess it’s because we have the same things…chicken, spaghetti, fish (salmon, catfish, & whiting)…aahhhhh….soooo booorrrrinnnng! Of course the same kinds of sides… brown rice, broccoli (although I can NEVER get tired of THAT! MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!), some other types of mixed veggies..huh..
So I have been mixing it up, trying to be a bit more creative and make some things I’ve been wanting to try for a while. My goal…healthy, simple, and quick. Point blank. If it’s too long and drawn out for me unfortunately it wont last long. And not because I’m lazy but because I don’t want to be too busy to make a delicious, healthy, different meal.
So…one of the meals that I made yesterday that was pretty good, simple, and (“I” think) healthy is the Stuffed Peppers. It’s funny because I couldn’t imagine STUFFED PEPPERS being GOOD?!?! It just didn’t sound right to me. Who would want to eat a big pepper…lol. Then I tried it one day and it was over…especially with cheese. So since then I’ve been wanting to make it myself because it seemed like it would be easy and quick. And come to find out, it was… So easy in fact that I didn’t even use any recipes just through it together and it came out well. So I’m going to try and break it down for ya’ll… wish me luck 😉 Also I used my slow cooker as well..tossed everything in and ran to class…lol..love it!
Time to Prepare: 15-20min Time to cook: About 2 hours (all together) Simmering in crock pot is not necessary, I just like the idea of all the flavors blending together.
So first for the ingredients…
- 4 Large Green Peppers (I had meet left over so you can add 2 more large peppers)
- 1lb of Ground beef (80%+ lean)
- About 2 cups of (cooked) rice- I used Italian rice, which is white but I think it should be fine with brown rice as well.(I had rice left over from night before, so I scooped until I thought it was enough)
- 1 can (1lb can) of tomato paste
- 1/2 can (1lb can) of diced tomato- optional
- 1/2 onion (sweet)- Put in to YOUR liking.
- Seasonings: black pepper, sea salt, oregano, rosemary, thyme, parsley, red peppers(dash), garlic powder, oh and don’t forget SUGAR-yes sugar! I’m black…lol..joking..but I do/did put sugar in almost everything… –Season to YOUR liking.
- WAIT! I almost forgot SHARP SHREDDED CHEESE (2% milk)…how could I?!?!- For topping
Ok…Now for the Directions…YUMMY!!! 😀
- First brown the ground beef in a pan. Turn slow cooker on to start warming, you can actually put the tomato paste in.While the beef is browning, start cooking the rice and chopping the onions(place in crock pot), and cutting the tops off the green peppers and the seeds.
- ***Boil the peppers for about 5-7min to soften them a little and get the edge off.***
I hope this don’t sound long, it really is simple to put together. It’s like making spaghetti sauce, which actually thinking about it, I don’t see why you couldn’t just grab a jar or 2 of spaghetti sauce in the flavor of your choice…BAM! Just made it simpler for you guys. 😀